Porirua campus: 3 songwriting clinics open to all

Porirua campus: 3 songwriting clinics open to all

by Whitireia Online -
Number of replies: 0

Whitireia is thrilled to be hosting Pat Pattison at the Music School next week. Pat Pattison, professor at Berklee College of Music, will be running three song writing clinics at Whitireia on Monday 14th & Tuesday 15th May.

Who can come: Anyone, as long as they have booked. If you have a songwriting friend or colleague whom you think would be interested, let them know!

Bookings
Bookings essential
— email:  Nga.McMahon@whitireia.ac.nz  or phone Nga McMahon on 04 237 3103 ext 3115

Venue
Whitireia New Zealand
Porirua Campus
Tutu Place
Room D350
(visit www.whitireia.ac.nzfor campus map)

Cost
Whitireia music students: Free
Others: $40.00 per session

Monday 14 May, 2-4pm Prosody

Prosody: The most important concept in great writing: All the elements of  your song should work together to support the song's central message and emotion. This seminar will show you tools and techniques to make your song stronger and more focused, using structure and phrasing to highlight important ideas, and deepen emotional impact — techniques that have helped Pat's students, including John Mayer and Gillian Welch, win Grammy’s and write number one songs.

Monday 14 May, 6:30pm-8:30pm

Master Class: Pat's Master classes are legendary. In these events, watch him take already strong songs and put them through a workout until they emerge trim and toned. In the 2 hour session, Pat will look at 2-3 songs, taking time to work out any kinks, focusing on prosody between the intent of the song and structure, rhyme, rhythm, point of view, phrasing and many other tools that have proven so useful to Grammy winners John Mayer and Gillian Welch and seminar participants across the globe. No one demands more of a song than Pat, and he can show you how to take it all the places it could go to cross the "finished" line.

Tuesday 15 May, 10am-12pm

Phrasing: The Body Language of Your Song. This seminar will give you important keys to phrasing your lyrics for the most impact and support of meaning. Working with rhythms and placements, you'll learn how to make sure that the line, like body language, helps to really deliver the emotion you intend. This is another "can't miss" seminar — it's bound to take your writing to the next level.

"I count myself lucky and proud to have studied with Mr. Pattison. I would not be the writer I am today without his teaching and his unique and comprehensive understanding of language, rhyme, rhythm, and structure. To this day, when I struggle with a lyric and find myself falling short, I am usually ignoring some very sound advice contained in these pages. And I read it again."
3-time Grammy winner Gillian Welch

“Pat Pattison does the impossible.  He takes the mystery out of songwriting without taking the heart out of it.”
David Wilcox

"I took a class with a great teacher named Pat Pattison... I learned a lot in that class...and I still read that book, Writing Better Lyrics. I think it's great"
John Mayer

(Edited by Daniel Phillips - original submission Thursday, 10 May 2012, 01:23 PM)