The earthquake on 14 November affected our Porirua campus library building and it remains closed as a precautionary measure. We are awaiting the completion of a detailed structural assessment from structural engineers.
Along with any building work that is required on the back of the structural engineers report, we are also taking the opportunity to review and enhance our library environment with the aim of providing students with innovative and contemporary learning spaces, and additional electronic resources. The first stage of this will involve the installation of new and highly versatile shelving, which arrives in early-February.
- Porirua Public Library from 14 February. One library staff and one learning advisor will be available between 10am-3pm daily (except Saturday and Sunday). Study spaces will be available at the Porirua Public Library.
- The Student Hub is open with the student help desk and a librarian present at all times. This will continue until the library building is up and running again. Library services will operate from the Student Hub on Monday to Thursday 8am-8pm and Friday 8am-5pm. There will be no library services available at the Student Hub on Saturday mornings at this stage.
- Students have direct access to any of the WelTec libraries for resources and support. We do encourage students to use the WelTec library closest to them. Libraries are situated at the following locations:
- From 14 February student support staff will be based in Ako Ake Café from 7.30am-11pm, Monday-Friday. This arrangement will remain in place until the library building reopens.
- Student support staff will also be based in the Learning Street, Wikitoria Katene building, 10am- 3pm daily.
- A designated quiet room is available in the atrium, next to the Health Centre.
All Whitireia books and journals are in-accessible; e-resources are available. If print material is required, staff will order this from one of our SMART libraries (including WelTec) or via inter library loan.
Access to drop in computer
E101 is available for after-hours swipe access: 5pm – 11pm Monday to Friday 6am-6pm Weekends
E101 and E102 are open for student study on weekdays 6am-5pm except when booked for a class. The room must be vacated when a class is on unless you have the permission of the tutor to remain.